"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. "
-Albert Einstein

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Inequality

Equality and acceptance is so different depending on the part of country one lives.  I have always heard this was true, but never really thought there was such a contrast.  It is surprisingly so.  For over a year I lived in Northern Virginia, just outside DC, and living there was such an eye opening experience to new thinking and different cultures, something a girl from the mid west had never seen.  Now, I've moved back to the mid west and I'm appalled at the small minded thinking and opposition to different ideas and thoughts.  I suppose since I wasn't raised to be close minded, I assumed that everyone was like me. 

As Americans we assume that everyone appreciates and really understands the freedoms we have and enjoy, but that is not the case.  Too many out there take these things for granted and think that to be different means that one doesn't deserve the same God given rights and freedoms as those that are similar.  It breaks my heart to know people who are treated like second class citizens because they are different.  Where are the good people in the country??  What ever happened to love thy neighbor??

No comments:

Post a Comment